In the LC Classification Schedules, the title is also in the nominative plural “Institutiones oratoriae ”;  the genitive singular form appears there only in “Institutionis oratoriae lib. XII.” But this type of genitive merely denotes a field of study (genitive of specification), rather than a title proper. The use of the plural form for the title had a long history. Cf. Lewis & Short, Latin Dictionary, in the preliminary section “Abbreviations”—Quint. Inst. = Institutiones oratoriae. L&S’s work was based on Freud’s “Wörterbuch der lateinischen Sprache (Leipzig, 1840), which in turn could be traced to Forcellini’s Totius Latinitatis Lexicon (1753). In Glare’s Oxford Latin Dictionary (OLD, 1968- ), the title is singular, apparently a “stripped” form from “M. Fabi Qvintiliani Institutionis oratoriae libri XII” (ed. L. Radermacher, Teubner, 1907). The traditional form “Institutiones oratoriae” can be found in many “older” (read time-honored) references sources (including Pauly-Wissowa) and it is just as idiomatic and authentic as any, if not more.

Yang

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gene Fieg
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2016 2:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] Changing AAPs based on new Work AAP

I can't find the e-mails about this that I recently wrote about.

It has to do with Quintilian's work, given the AAP Institutiones oratoriae.  Even though Oxford Class. Dictionary says that the title is the singular, Institutio oratoria, OCLC as a reference source uses both and the plural form is justified in the NAF with plural forms.

I was advised in those e-mails to leave the current AAP work alone as is.  I will do that.  Changing the expressions to RDA, will be truly problematic since I don't t have those expressions in front of me, especially the expressions that have language & language formations.  I do not know, or may not know the translator or what Latin text the translator used.

Therefore, I will leave them alone as is.

BTW, how will LC handle those combo language qualifiers when they go through phase 3 (?) of their updating authority files?

Gene Fieg