I wish to add some more substance and validity to my previous message in support of Bob’s recommendation and Gene’s decision to keep the AAP [Quintilian. ‡t Institutiones oratoriae] as is.  Schanz-Hosius (Geschichte der römischen Literatur, 1935-, 2. Teil, S.749 ) list three authentic versions of the title based on the manuscript tradition: 1) Institutionis oratoriae liber I … etc. (Ambrosianus), 2) Institutiones oratoriae (Bernensis & Bambergensis), 3) De institutione oratoria (more recent manuscripts), the last of which echoes Quintilian’s own reference (libros … de institutione oratoria, Inst. or., proem. 1). Nowhere, I repeat, nowhere can “Institutio oratoria” be found in any ancient sources as title proper. Why? Because of the glaring hiatus -ō ō-, a rhetorical taboo, which happens to be the worst kind (“pessime longae, quae easdem inter se litteras committunt, sonabunt,” Quintilian, Inst. or., 9.4.33). One would search in vain for the two identical long vowels running together like this (-ō ō-) in any text by Quintilian or any classical author, period. It is ironic and unfortunate that some modern editors would find it non-offensive and acceptable. I rest my case.
From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Yang Wang
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2016 6:46 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Changing AAPs based on new Work AAP

In the LC Classification Schedules, the title is also in the nominative plural “Institutiones oratoriae ”;  the genitive singular form appears there only in “Institutionis oratoriae lib. XII.” But this type of genitive merely denotes a field of study (genitive of specification), rather than a title proper. The use of the plural form for the title had a long history. Cf. Lewis & Short, Latin Dictionary, in the preliminary section “Abbreviations”—Quint. Inst. = Institutiones oratoriae. L&S’s work was based on Freud’s “Wörterbuch der lateinischen Sprache (Leipzig, 1840), which in turn could be traced to Forcellini’s Totius Latinitatis Lexicon (1753). In Glare’s Oxford Latin Dictionary (OLD, 1968- ), the title is singular, apparently a “stripped” form from “M. Fabi Qvintiliani Institutionis oratoriae libri XII” (ed. L. Radermacher, Teubner, 1907). The traditional form “Institutiones oratoriae” can be found in many “older” (read time-honored) references sources (including Pauly-Wissowa) and it is just as idiomatic and authentic as any, if not more.

Yang