Thanks, Jennifer.  I don't figure I'll make any changes, but I was glad to have my instinct about this unusual situation confirmed.

Pete Wilson
Vanderbilt University

-----Original Message-----
From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jenifer K Marquardt
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 3:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Non-series phrase used as main title in several subseries

Good afternoon, Pete,

I haven't seen this situation before, but I can understand the Mīrās̲-i Maktūb (Series) series being a series-like phrase when it appears all on its own without numbering.  Mīrās̲-i Maktūb is a variant access point on the NAR for the research organization Markaz-i Nashr-i Mīrās̲-i Maktūb.  When corporate names appear WITH numbering then they can be considered series and qualified by (Series) to differentiate it from the corporate entity.

The Mīrās̲-i Maktūb (Series) SAR has numbering c - varied - so I expect that it is a phrase since the numbering is not a constant.

The basic SAR Mīrās̲-i Maktūb (Series) has the 010 no2001050980  which is only a couple off of the SAR no2001050982 for Mīrās̲-i Maktūb (Series). ǂp ʻUlūm va maʻārif-i Islāmī

So, perhaps the basic SAR was created in order to give the subseries something to hang on too.  If the subseries always appear with the name of the corporate body, then I can see someone wanting to set them up as subseries.  It really depends on the display on the pieces.  The other likely choice for setting these subseries up would be directly with a 410 for Markaz-i Nashr-i Mīrās̲-i Maktūb. |t

Once the pattern got established, though, I bet folks decided to keep all of the series the same and not question the original cataloger's judgment.

It is an odd situation!

Jenifer

Jenifer K. Marquardt
Asst. Head of Cataloging & Authorities Librarian University of Georgia Athens, GA 30602-1641