I don't sit on any PCC committees, etc., but I think that the reason that you cannot modify a dual language expression into a work is that we are not supposed to change an expression to a work an AAP.  Also, the work AAP record has a specific number attached to it, and if you make the changes you suggest, and if we ever get to using numbers for access points, the number that might be used in the future would not point to the same AAP that it originally did.

I hope that last sentence is clear. After writing it, I am not too sure it is as clear as it could be.

Gene