Hi Steve,

Jeff Duboff, the guy in Massachusetts who sold modified SL-1200 turntables under the Diapason name, would add a mounting platform to the back of the SL-1200 to accommodate longer arms. There's no way a longer tonearm will fit on the stock SL-1200 base. His contact information is here:

http://www.shellac.org/wams/wvendor1.html#3

But, I'm not sure he's still in business. This page has a different address and phono # for him:

http://www.shellac.org/wams/wsupplys.html

I'm told that he has been unresponsive for quite a number of years.

You might want to contact Mark Stosich at Estoteric Sound.

http://www.esotericsound.com/index2.htm

He may have a replacement arm for the SL-1200 that will let you squeeze a 16-inch record, even though the tracking error is not optimum.

Best,
Gary

Gary Galo
Audio Engineer Emeritus