Happy new year to all!
I'm Sofia Zapounidou, PhD student from Greece.

I would like your help regarding semantics and use of the bf:originalVersionOf property. This property has both Work and Instance as domain and range values.

At the Work level
Bf:originalVersionOf is sub property of  bf:hasDerivative. I cannot understand the specialized meaning it offers. What is the difference between
Work -hasDerivative - Work and
Work -originalVersionOf -Work?

In the relationships discussion paper (currently under revision) states that this property is used at the Work class level when "Instance is the original version of which this resource is a reproduction". So even though it is a sub property for derivation it is associated with reproduction.

At the Instance level
What is the meaning of the following sentence?
Instance - originalVersionOf - Instance ?

Does the property refer to derivation or reproduction? If it refers to derivation, can you please give me an example? If it refers to reproduction what is the semantic difference with the property bf:reproduction?

Thanks again for your time and may we all have a prosperous 2017!

Best regards
Sofia