OSTI.gov Newsletter

U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Science
Office of Scientific and Technical Information

For your consideration, here is Issue 18 of the OSTI.gov Newsletter.

The Department of Energy (DOE) conducts more than $11 billion a year in research and development (R&D), and DOE’s Office of Scientific and Technical Information (OSTI) maximizes the reach and impact of these investments, both through its own search tools and through other commonly used search engines.  We hope this newsletter provides useful information about OSTI’s activities and the resources we’re providing to the public and the scientific community.  We welcome your feedback on this newsletter and our efforts to provide access to DOE’s R&D results.

OSTI.gov Newsletter

January/February 2017 Issue Contents

OSTI – A Young 70

Compared to some of its venerable counterparts in other agencies, OSTI is a relative babe in the woods in reaching our 70th anniversary in 2017.  We take pride in OSTI’s contributions to the Department of Energy’s history and the nation’s scientific progress.  We are also excited about the future, as we implement strategies for serving the modern scientist.  Here’s a quick tour of OSTI’s past, present, and future.

OSTI Developing New DOE Software Center

OSTI is developing a new model for scientific software collaboration, archiving, and dissemination in DOE.  As described by OSTI Director Brian Hitson in a November 2016 OSTIblog, DOE Code will be a robust, community-focused software management platform for DOE code repositories.  Now in planning and development, DOE Code will replace OSTI’s current software center, the Energy Science and Technology Software Center (ESTSC).

Digital Object Identifiers for Scientific Research Data: Benefits from the Researcher Perspective

OSTI offers a data search tool, the DOE Data Explorer, and a service for registering datasets with digital object identifiers (DOIs), the DOE Data ID Service.  So what do data researchers see as the greatest benefits of having DOIs assigned to their data?  Two DOE scientists who are leading users of the DOE Data ID Service offer their views.

Statistically Speaking:  SciTech Connect Content and Usage Growing

The SciTech Connect collection continues to grow as new scientific and technical information resulting from DOE research becomes available.  Increases in usage were seen following fiscal year 2016 enhancements that made it easier to locate documents.

Search Tip:  Find Patent Information in SciTech Connect

Patent information resulting from DOE-sponsored research and development is now more easily findable via SciTech Connect.  The new “Patents” filter, available beside the search box on the homepage, is a direct route to patent results.

Meet Sara Studwell

Sara Studwell began working at OSTI in 2013 for contractor Information International Associates on OSTI’s information science team, and she was hired as an OSTI Librarian and Product Manager in February 2015.  In this role, she is responsible for DOE PAGES, the DOE Data Explorer, and DOepatents.

Retiree Tribute:  Charlie Stuber

Charlie Stuber retired from OSTI in 1997 after 34 years of service.  During his tenure, he was a scientific analyst and team leader for high energy physics and later became a manager in the Office of Information Management of the Technical Information Center, as OSTI formerly was known.

Most Viewed Documents from All OSTI Search Tools by Subject Category
Access the most viewed documents in your field of interest.

In the OSTI Collections:  Infrasound and Ultrasound Research

Infrasound can be used to monitor international nuclear activity and natural events such as earthquakes and volcanoes.  Ultrasound is being studied as a component of additive manufacturing and nuclear power plant concrete imaging, as well as resonant ultrasound spectroscopy (RUS).

The Latest from OSTIblog
OSTIblog features the technology, services, people, and policies that are crucial to OSTI’s role in increasing accessibility of DOE-sponsored research.

If you missed our previous issues, be sure to check those out in the OSTI.gov Newsletter Archive.

To unsubscribe, just send a note to [log in to unmask] with UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

If you would like your name added to our subscription list, send your email address to [log in to unmask] with SUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

You can also read more about OSTI and DOE research at OSTIblog.  To receive notices of new blog posts via email, visit the OSTIblog and enter your email address in the Subscribe box.

Sara Studwell

Librarian

DOE Office of Scientific and Technical Information

(865)241-5275