As part of its mission to provide national leadership for digital capacity in our nation’s libraries, the Library of Congress/National Digital Initiates (NDI) is evaluating resources for building technical skills in cultural heritage organizations. More and more librarians, archivists, and curators are working with digital collections as part of their daily duties and finding that they need training in the skills they need to collect and analyze the material.

NDI would like to contribute to and promote training programs that give librarians the technical skills they need to do their work. To that end, we are hosting a two-day Software Carpentry (https://oulib-swc.github.io/2017-02-15-loc/ ) workshop, which other institutions have used as training for library staff (e.g., the libraries at Library, Stanford University, and University of North Texas).

The workshop will be held on February 15-16, 2017.

The purpose of hosting the workshop is to evaluate it a training tool for staff working with digital collection materials. It is not intended for application developers and no previous coding experience is required.  Because of the depth and complexity of the instruction, participants must commit to attending full time, both days. Attendees must bring a laptop they can install software on using the public WIFI.

We have space for up to 7 Federal librarians to join us. Please respond to this invitation by February 1st to reserve you spaces.

If you have any questions or wish to register, send an email to [log in to unmask].