Hi Everyone -

Please join us for the next in our regular monthly series of free Department of the Library Park Ranger Speaker Series lectures, entitled "Arlington House and Arlington National Cemetery" on Tuesday, January 17th from 1:00 - 1:45 pm in Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior Building's Rachel Carson Room.

Following the ratification of secession by Virginia in 1861, federal troops crossed the Potomac and occupied Arlington House, the 1804 estate owned by George Washington’s adopted great-granddaughter Mary Anna Custis and her husband, Robert E. Lee. The confiscated property was offered for public sale in 1864, and was purchased by a tax commissioner for "government use, for war, military, charitable and educational purposes." Since it was the home of the leader of the armed forces of the Confederacy, it was decided that the use of his property as a military cemetery would be appropriate and, as a form of punishment, deny the Lee family the use of their home after the war.

Please join Park Ranger Matt Penrod for a look at the history of Arlington House, its occupation by Union troops during the Civil War, and the transformation of the estate into the hallowed ground we know it as today. Ranger Penrod will also detail the upcoming restoration of the mansion and slave quarters and the creation of new exhibits made possible by a recent donation from David Rubenstein.

All that are interested are invited.  The Rachel Carson Room is located in the basement level of the Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior Building, towards the back of and adjacent to the Interior Department cafeteria.  The Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior Building is located at 1849 C Street, NW in Washington.  Space for the program is limited so please go to the following link to register:

https://docs.google.com/a/nbc.gov/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGgtcWo5SGpfN3VNNVFobVNSTThyaXc6MQ#gid=0

Please also note that we will be offering WebEx webinar access for this program.  If you are interested in remote live access to this program, please note it on the online registration form or send an e-mail to [log in to unmask].

You may contact the Library by phone at (202) 208-5815 or by e-mail at [log in to unmask] for more information about this program and/or directions.   For more information about DOI Library resources and services, please visit the DOI Library's website, located at http://www.doi.gov/library.

We hope you can join us in person or virtually on January 17th.

George Franchois
Director - U.S. Dept. of the Interior Library
Office of the Secretary - Office of Facilities and Administrative Services (OFAS)
1849 C Street, NW, Room 2262, MS 1151
Washington, DC 20240
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]oi.gov
Phone: (202) 208-3796