NLS Operations Alert No. 17-5

DATE                     :   January 5, 2017
TO                          :   Network Libraries
FROM                   :   Richard Smith, Chief, Network Division
SUBJECT               :   Happy New Year!

It's been another remarkable year for NLS-a year of change and opportunity in Washington, in our network of cooperating libraries, and in services to our patrons across the nation and overseas. As we consider what lies ahead in 2017, let's also take time to toast the accomplishments of the past year. Did you launch new initiatives, face new challenges, or build on past successes? Write up those achievements and nominate your institution for the 2016 Network Library of the Year or the Subregional Library or Advisory and Outreach Center of the Year Award.

The awards are a chance for librarians to spotlight inspirational stories, tout accomplishments, and share their knowledge with others-a showcase for their institution, staff, and services. We at NLS hear about many wonderful network library achievements, such as:

*             contributing outstanding local braille and recorded books and magazines to BARD;
*             re-purposing an RC master room into a peach cartridge duplication-on-demand center;
*             providing programming such as book clubs, dance instruction, or movie nights with audio description;
*             creating audiobooks on cartridge for patrons who are unable to download titles that are only available on BARD;
*             improving services in unique ways to ameliorate productivity and reliability;
*             sharing a school's recommended readings on one peach cartridge for loan over the summer;
*             providing patrons with duplication-on-demand services for digital books;
*             involving friends or advisory groups in library outreach;
*             supplying patrons with custom-made multiple-book cartridges; and
*             holding workshops on iOS, Android, BARD Express, computer accessibility features, braille, JAWS, and other assistive technologies.

We want to show appreciation for the tremendous work done by the national network of libraries. The winners of the Network Library of the Year and Subregional Library or Advisory and Outreach Center of the Year Awards receive a $1,000 cash prize, a plaque, and a certificate. NLS covers travel costs to the luncheon ceremony, held at the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C., for one representative of each winning library and each of their administrative agencies.

In addition, the award is an outreach opportunity. Through press releases and announcements in Library of Congress publications and on social media about the awards, NLS increases awareness of the important role that network libraries play in providing vital reading services to hundreds of thousands of deserving and devoted readers.

You've done the work-now it's time to let everyone know about your accomplishments and nominate your library to be recognized as one of the best. Please accept this as my invitation to apply for the Network Library of the Year or Subregional Library or Advisory and Outreach Center of the Year Award.

Watch for an Operations Alert with more details next week.

Happy New Year to all!

For more information contact:
Richard Smith
Chief, Network Division