NLS Operations Alert No. 17-2

DATE                     :  January 4, 2017

TO                          :  Network Libraries

FROM                   :  Publications and Media Section

SUBJECT               :  Public service announcements update

Through December 11, 2016, the NLS television public service announcement (PSA) “Our Stories: That All May Read” aired 22,435 times on 144 stations in 58 markets. TV Access reports that the PSA has been seen in the following areas:

Abilene-Sweetwater, Texas

Albany, Georgia

Anchorage, Alaska

Austin, Texas

Baltimore, Maryland

Beaumont-Port Arthur, Texas

Billings, Montana

Bluefield-Beckley-Oak Hill, West Virginia

Boise, Idaho

Burlington, Vermont-Plattsburgh, New York

Champaign-Springfield-Decatur, Illinois

Charlotte, North Carolina

Chicago, Illinois

Cleveland-Akron (Canton), Ohio

Colorado Springs-Pueblo, Colorado

Columbia-Jefferson City, Missouri

Columbus, Ohio

Columbus-Tupelo-West Point-Houston, Ohio

Elmira (Corning), New York

Fairbanks, Alaska

Fargo-Valley City, North Dakota

Glendive, Montana

Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek, Michigan

Greensboro-High Point-Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Greenville-Spartanburg, South Carolina-Asheville, North Carolina-Anderson, South Carolina

Harlingen-Weslaco-Brownsville-McAllen, Texas

Huntsville-Decatur (Florence), Alabama

Johnstown-Altoona-State College, Pennsylvania

Kansas City, Missouri

Knoxville, Tennessee

La Crosse-Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Lake Charles, Louisiana

Lexington, Kentucky

Lima, Ohio

Lubbock, Texas

Mankato, Minnesota

Marquette, Michigan

Minot-Bismarck-Dickinson (Williston), North Dakota

Monroe-El Dorado, Arkansas

Myrtle Beach-Florence, South Carolina

New York, New York

Ottumwa, Iowa-Kirksville, Missouri

Paducah, Kentucky-Cape Girardeau, Missouri-Harrisburg, Illinois

Palm Springs, California

Raleigh-Durham (Fayetteville), North Carolina

Roanoke-Lynchburg, Virginia

Salt Lake City, Utah

San Angelo, Texas

Savannah, Georgia

Shreveport, Louisiana

Sioux Falls (Mitchell), South Dakota

Springfield-Holyoke, Massachusetts

Utica, New York

Washington, D.C. (Hagerstown, Maryland)

Wausau-Rhinelander, Wisconsin

Wheeling, West Virginia-Steubenville, Ohio

Wichita Falls, Texas-Lawton, Oklahoma

Zanesville, Ohio

This PSA was provided to TV stations in 15-, 30-, and 60-second versions in both standard and high-definition (HD) formats. The 60-second HD PSA aired most often. (There were no airings of the standard-definition PSAs.) The PSA aired throughout the 24-hour broadcast day, with the majority of airings taking place from 5 a.m. to 9 a.m. and from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

NLS also released two radio PSAs: “Our Stories: The Freedom to Read Your Way” and “Our Stories: A Library in Your Pocket.”

“Our Stories: The Freedom to Read Your Way” aired 819 times on 28 stations in 17 markets through December 18, 2016. The PSA aired in the following areas:

Boise, Idaho

Boston (Manchester), Massachusetts

Cleveland-Akron (Canton), Ohio

Columbus, Ohio

Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York, Pennsylvania

Kansas City, Kansas

New York, New York

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Raleigh-Durham (Fayetteville), North Carolina

Reno, Nevada

Rochester, New York

Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto, California

Seattle-Tacoma, Washington

Spokane, Washington

Tucson (Sierra Vista), Arizona

Wilkes Barre-Scranton-Hazleton, Pennsylvania

This PSA was provided to radio stations in 15-, 30-, and 60-second versions. The 30-second version aired most often (442 times). The 15-second version was not aired by any radio station.

“Our Stories: A Library in Your Pocket” aired 807 times on 26 stations in 12 markets through December 18, 2016. This PSA aired in the following areas:

Baltimore, Maryland

Boise, Idaho

Boston (Manchester), Massachusetts

Greenville-New Bern-Washington, North Carolina

Los Angeles, California

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Raleigh-Durham (Fayetteville), North Carolina

Reno, Nevada

Rochester, New York

Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto, California

St. Louis, Missouri

This PSA was provided to radio stations in 15-, 30-, and 60-second versions. The 60-second version aired most often (580 times). The 15-second version was not aired by any radio station.

You may preview the PSAs on the Network Library Services website at www.loc.gov/nls/networkdocs/mediaservices/public_service/index.html. The PSAs are provided there for information only.

For more information contact:

Mark Layman

Writer-Editor, Publications and Media Section