I've been thinking more about this, based on some writing I'm doing, and I now think that Graham is correct - that the publisher work is closely aligned to the work in BIBFRAME (but neither has a work that meets the definition of a FRBR work). The BIBFRAME work, however, has some elements from library cataloging that one might consider FRBR work but not FRBR expression, such as a work title that encompasses all of the expressions.

I apologize to Graham for misunderstanding his intent here. I think this is important because it should make it easier to exchange data with publishers for those who use BIBFRAME. However, in libraries we need to find a way to link BF works to each other to approximate a FRBR work. I think that is going to be most important to research libraries and very large public libraries, while medium and small public libraries will have less use for that. I'm still pondering the question of whether the expression level could be the starting user view; author & title being the main initial display in many catalogs.

kc