Michael,
I would argue that it all depends on what you veiw your community as.  If
you your community consists of fellow catalogers, then you could argue that
Linked Data provides you no benefit and no improvement over tried and true
standards.  Although others could say that the 're-usability' of linked
data would be of value to catalogers in streamlining their workflows.  I
can see why their is resistance to a new cataloging standard from technical
services.  The control of the information by catalogers is a source of
pride for them.  Accuracy in the information is a current tenet of the
profession.  And Linked Data brings an unknown element regarding the
control and accuracy of that information.

On the flip side, if you view your community as the community at large -
other librarians, researches and patrons, the value of Linked Data takes a
different focus.  As a user I'm not concerned with correct punctuation in
marc tags or even the right data in the right tags generally speaking.  ILS
system usually narrowly focuses on author,title,subject when providing
search results.  Tags with publication information and series would also be
of value in some searches.  Many of the other tags are locked into 5XX tags
and generally only searchable via keyword search.  As a user I would love
to have that information more readily accessible and linked to other
records - this is something that would benefit researches mainly and may or
may not have much practical application to public libraries.

A public library community at large would benefit from seeing the libraries
holdings displayed on the web.  If I'm looking for a book, I want to see my
library's results on the first page, not buried on subsequent pages of
google if it displays at all.  It seems this aspect of linked data would
directly impact public libraries struggling to show their value in some
communities.  If the resources are hidden, they are potentially
underutilized and possibly underfunded as a result.  It may be possible
that an implementation of linked data to showcase library resources could
be adopted by libraries as a first step into linked data that doesn't
require a rethinking of their current marc processes.  When (and if)
translation tools are available, the marc could be transformed into basic
triples, made available to web crawlers and direct traffic to your library.

Joy Nelson
ByWater Solutions

--
Joy Nelson
Director of Migrations

ByWater Solutions <http://bywatersolutions.com>
Support and Consulting for Open Source Software
Office: Fort Worth, TX
Phone/Fax (888)900-8944
What is Koha? <http://bywatersolutions.com/what-is-koha/>