Jeff:

I understand your frustrations (I started out as a cataloger, too, just at
the dawn of the computer age in libraries), but let me address a few of
your concerns about RDA.  First, let me point out that the article Karen
and I wrote in 2007 should be viewed as a historical piece. It was written
before RDA and DCMI got together to start building the RDA Vocabularies--it
no longer reflects the reality of how RDA works in reality. I'd really
suggest you take a look at the RDA Registry (http://rdaregistry.info) where
the vocabularies and their documentation can be found. Please feel free to
ask questions if what you see doesn't make sense.  (You should note that
many of the element set and value vocabulary information exists in
translation--this is a key to why RDA is much more successful in Europe).

The BibFrame initiative has been successful in convincing folks that
BibFrame = LD, but that's marketing, not reality.

Thanks for starting this conversation!

Diane