Hi Jeff,

I have been trying to address the issue to "justify our existence" for years.  The key is to meet relevance challenge.   One campaign that I called for at this ALA Midwinter Meetings in Atlanta was D-Lib Research Penetration with BIBFRAME 2.0.

As far as I am concerned, for academic and research libraries, D-Lib Research Penetration should be embedded into the digital life of faculty, students and the learning community that a library serves without compromising information security, privacy, copyright and other legal and regulative requirements, similar to what currently broadband does to the mass.

This calls for agility in content delivery and library information spotlight.  BIBFRAME and linked data will enable development teams within and outside the library communities to develop linked data application quickly.  We proved that during 2016 Midwest Big Data Hackathon.

You can find a copy of my presentation from ALA Connect: http://connect.ala.org/node/262645..  Let's work together to make BIBFRAME and linked data a reality for libraries.  This is just one perspective for our survival strategy in the 21st century.

connect.ala.org
LITA/ALCTS Linked Library Data Interest Group Meeting: Linked Data For Real. Time: Saturday, January 21, 2017, 8:30-10:00 AM. Location: Georgia World Congress Center ...

Thanks!

Amanda

*********

Amanda Xu