Two points in response to assertions made in passing in earlier comments::

In many libraries, access to licensed electronic resources is controlled by
IP range, and public terminals in the library are in range for access.
Access to electronic resources for non-affiliates is roughly equal to
access to physical resources--you have to be at the library. Asserting
affiliate status can grant the same access for remote users of the library
system.  This may not be an advance, but it's not a regression from earlier
access provided by libraries to non-affiliates. It does require some
attention to the terms of the library's licensing of e-resources.

For libraries that use WorldCat, there's a relatively easy way to boost the
ranking of WorldCat entries with links to local holdings in a Google
search--just append "worldcat" to the end of the search. For example, a
search from Minneapolis on "color purple worldcat" brings up a first screen
drawn entirely from the WorldCat domain with multiple editions and formats
of The Color Purple, each with a link to nearby holding libraries. It
worked pretty well for Zootopia, too. Has any OCLC library offered a widget
to library users that would handle this minor addition to searches for
books, etc., in Google as a way of promoting their copies and services?  A
more sophisticated widget could repeat the initial search when the user
clicks on link to a library catalog from the WorldCat list.

Stephen

Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
University of Minnesota
160 Wilson Library