I'm popping in here, but my response is not just to Jim but to the whole
thread regarding getting library bib data into search engines.

My fave scenario for library linked data, the data flows in the opposite
direction. Look at how rich an author page is in WorldCat Identities.[1]
Look how rich it is in Wikipedia.[2] Look what Google does when you
search on an author's name and you get that nice box that pulls from
Wikipedia and other sources.[3] That's done with linked data. Then do a
search on an author in a library catalog. No information beyond the
author's name. A name is an identifier, not an information source, and
it doesn't tell users anything about the author.

Linked data, to me, means being able to use resources on the net to
better serve library users. By connecting place names in library data to
the geonames database [4] you could show users those places on maps.
This ability already exists because even small sites on the web often
show you maps. It's not big tech to do this. You could give author bios
for at least some authors. Many books have a Wikipedia page that has
coded information included awards won and links to reviews. All of this
is available as linked data, but we aren't making use of it.

It also means being able to make easier use of many tools arriving on
the scene; better searching, visualization of data (put books on a topic
in a timeline), etc. You see some of this in WorldCat Identities, in
subject searches in the Open Library,[5] in the Agris database[6]. Other
communities are giving their users a rich information experience, but we
are not. We are not helping our users understand what they've found. You
get more information about a refrigerator online that you do about a
book in a library catalog. That's what has to change to bring users back
to the library as an information source.

kc
[1] http://worldcat.org/identities/lccn-n90640849/
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Gaiman
[3] https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=neil+gaiman