Hi Folks, time to get back to business.  Next month the TC154 WG for the revised 8601 will meet to consider comments on the DIS.  I am going to want feedback from this group on the comments.

We don’t have the comments yet,  however we do have comments from Christoph Päper, posted here, which he plans to submit to tc154, so I would like feedback on these comments.   Than you,  Christoph,  for your comments.

We’ll start with “Divisions of a year” (which was generalized from “Season” in the earlier draft) and I’ll address the other comments separately.

The draft at LC, http://www.loc.gov/standards/datetime/pre-submission.html, addresses seasons only, with respect to divisions of a year:

5.2.5 Season

The values 21, 22, 23, 24 may be used used to signify ' Spring', 'Summer', 'Autumn', 'Winter', respectively, in place of a month value (01 through 12) for a year-and-month format string.

Example

  • 2001-21
    Spring, 2001

The  DIS generalizes this as follows:

4.7 Divisions of a year

For a year-and-month expression (e.g. 1984-04) the month component may take on values of 21 or above (in place of a month value, 01 through 12).  These values signify a division of a year (e.g. “the season Spring”).

4.7.1 Level 1

The values 21, 22, 23, 24 may be used to signify ' Spring', 'Summer', 'Autumn', 'Winter', respectively.

Format: YYYY-SS

Example:

·         2001-21
(Spring, 2001)

4.7.2 Level 2

Values greater than 24 may be used.

This specification provides an initial set of values, and there will be a registration mechanism for additional values.

The initial sets of values for traditional division of a year are:

21-24 = Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter, independent of “Hemisphere”

25-28 = Spring - Northern Hemisphere, Summer- Northern Hemisphere, Autumn  - Northern Hemisphere, Winter - Northern Hemisphere

29-32 = Spring – Southern Hemisphere, Summer– Southern Hemisphere, Autumn – Southern Hemisphere, Winter - Southern Hemisphere

33-36 = Quarter 1, Quarter 2, Quarter 3, Quarter 4 (3 months  each)

37-39 = Quadrimester 1, Quadrimester 2, Quadrimester 3  (4 months each)

40-41 = Semestral 1, Semestral-2 (6 months each)

Following is the proposal from Christoph.  (Christoph please feel free to correct or elaborate.)

Proposed MM codes

-----------------

- 20 bimester starting with preceding December

- 21 bimester starting with January

- 22 bimester starting with February

- 23 bimester starting with March

- 24 bimester starting with April

- 25 bimester starting with May

- 26 bimester starting with June

- 27 bimester starting with July

- 28 bimester starting with August

- 29 bimester starting with September

- 30 bimester starting with October †

- 31 bimester starting with November †

- 32 bimester starting with December †

- 38 quadmester starting with preceding October

- 39 quadmester starting with preceding November

- 40 quadmester starting with preceding December

- 41 quadmester starting with January

- 42 quadmester starting with February

- 43 quadmester starting with March

- 44 quadmester starting with April

- 45 quadmester starting with May

- 46 quadmester starting with June

- 47 quadmester starting with July

- 48 quadmester starting with August

- 49 quadmester starting with September

- 50 quadmester starting with October

- 51 quadmester starting with November

- 52 quadmester starting with December

- 56 semester starting with preceding August

- 57 semester starting with preceding September

- 58 semester starting with preceding October

- 59 semester starting with preceding November

- 60 semester starting with preceding December

- 61 semester starting with January

- 62 semester starting with February

- 63 semester starting with March

- 64 semester starting with April

- 65 semester starting with May

- 66 semester starting with June

- 67 semester starting with July

- 68 semester starting with August

- 69 semester starting with September

- 70 semester starting with October

- 71 semester starting with November

- 72 semester starting with December

- 79 trimester starting with preceding November

- 80 trimester starting with preceding December

  = meteorologic Central-European winter

- 81 trimester starting with January

  = Q1, -1

- 82 trimester starting with February

- 83 trimester starting with March

  = meteorologic Central-European spring

- 84 trimester starting with April

  = Q2, -2

- 85 trimester starting with May

- 86 trimester starting with June

  = meteorologic Central-European summer

- 87 trimester starting with July

  = Q3, -3

- 88 trimester starting with August

- 89 trimester starting with September

  = meteorologic Central-European autumn

- 90 trimester starting with October †

  = Q4, -4

- 91 trimester starting with November †

- 92 trimester starting with December †

  = meteorologic Central-European winter

Unassigned MM codes

- 00

- 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

- 33, 34, 35, 36, 37

- 53, 54, 55

- 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78

- 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99

Astronomic seasons could therefore use ‘1…’, ‘3…’, ‘7…’ or ‘9…’ – or four out of either ‘00’/‘33’/‘55’/‘77’/‘99’ or ‘13’/‘33’/‘53’/‘73’/‘93’.

I would like comments from this group on this proposal.

Ray