If the work is about the planned 1779 invasion but focuses on Spain and the Spanish point of view, that decision seems sound.

 Whether it should get "Anglo-Spanish War, 1779-1783 -- Campaigns" or "Anglo-French War, 1778-1783 -- Campaigns" would depend on the focus of the work.  In my opinion, if it's about the 1779 invasion attempt generally, it should probably get both.

The main (until the appearance of whatever you're cataloging?) scholarly monograph on this campaign, A. Temple Patterson's The Other Armada: The Franco-Spanish Attempt to Invade Britain in 1779. [Manchester, UK]: University Press, 1960) covers all aspects of the campaign (French plans and actions, Spanish plans and actions, and British defensive plans and actions ,etc.) but confusingly only gets Anglo-French War, 1779-1783 on some OCLC records (e.g. OCLC # 77927898).

I think the essence of this problem lays with LCSH's insistence on defining some early modern armed conflicts from exclusively American points of view and conceptually splitting apart -- in a very questionable way --  some global wars according to that myopic point of view.

One egregious example is the historiographically vital work Piers Mackesy's War for America: 1775-1783 (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1965 and later editions) -- which clearly portrays the war Britain fought from 1775-1783 against its rebellious North American colonies and, eventually, against France, Spain and the United Provinces as one war.  Mackesy also shows that contemporary British political and military leaders thought of it that way also, once France and Spain got involved.

Under LCSH we don't have a heading for that war, and so (for Mackesy's book) somebody had to give the rather unwieldy array 150 United States History Revolution 1775-1783 plus 150 Great Britain History 1760-1789 (e.g. OCLC #26851403).  One could add 150 Anglo-Spanish War, 1779-1783 and 150 Anglo-French War, 1778-1783, but that would make it more unwieldy, though somewhat more accurate.

LCSH's myopic approach to the scope of eighteenth-century conflicts inhibits collocation.  There are potential solutions, of course, but given the gigantic scope of bibliographic file maintenance that any of them would likely cause, I wonder whether most parties would balk.

Even more acute examples come from the War of the Austrian Succession  and the Seven Years' War -- the treatment  of the latter conflict in LCSH and LC Classification having long bedeviled me personally as both cataloger and historian.

This same conceptual problems rears its ugly head in LC Classification, but I will leave that for another time.

Best regards,

Mark Danley

Mark H. Danley, Ph.D.

Librarian, Information Resources
United States Military Academy Library

Jefferson Hall
758 Cullum Road
West Point, NY 10996-1709

845-938-8268

[all statements above represent my individual professional opinions and are not official U.S. Army or Department of Defense policy]