Hi,
Thank you.

Alla

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Hostage
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 3:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] authority question

I’m not aware of any committee or group that’s in a position to make a decision about this. With the caveat that people can do what they want in their local catalogs (as long as they still have one), it doesn’t make sense to me to make an entry for the personal name heading.  The name authorities have cross references for that. (I know, cross references don’t work very well in most catalogs.)  But making all those entries creates a lot of clutter in the catalog and makes it hard for the user to find works by the person that are not official communications.  This is especially true in large research libraries.

John Hostage
Senior Continuing Resources Cataloger
Langdell Hall 194
Harvard Law School Library