From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Amy Turner
Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2017 3:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Breaking a conflict

And changing PCC policy will not do much to affect headings in OCLC.  There is no obligation to edit OCLC to reflect the LCNAF, and doing so is very time consuming because of duplicate records and the lack of any global change capability.  I have written before in hopes of a more cooperative approach to the maintenance of OCLC, but that would be a major change in mindset.  So the LCNAF now operates as a sort of theoretical ideal, with different degrees of practical application, depending on the resources that individual libraries can devote to the maintenance of their own bibliographical records.  Very inefficient.

Since this topic has come up again, I will reply to some people who seem to think that my idea of more cooperative maintenance of OCLC means the end of local control of catalogs.  No, it means a cleaner starting point for building local catalogs.  If the maintenance that applies to all could be done for all, rather than being duplicated over and over, then there would be more time for needed local modifications.  Oh well, I can always dream …

Amy