I would think it would be very confusing to your average user to realize that those are in fact two different individuals.

--Ben

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Hostage
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2017 3:22 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] Distinguishing names

Is it permissible to have two NARs that are distinguished by the presence or absence of a death date?  I'm thinking of

Park, Reg, ǂd 1928-

Park, Reg, ǂd 1928-2007

The OCLC control function will generally add a death date automatically to an entry like "Shakespeare, William, 1564-"

but in the case of the 2 Reg Parks it opens a window to choose between the two, which is a good thing.

John Hostage

Senior Continuing Resources Cataloger

Langdell Hall 194

Harvard Law School Library