In some cases the social media should perhaps be considered the best source, since they actually reflect the choice and form of name that the individual prefers, rather than what the publisher prefers (e.g. in many countries the name on the dissertation does not reflect the author’s preference and will never be used by the author again).  Also LinkedIn often contains very useful information on the author’s background and profession, as perceived to be important by the author.  Facebook is usually less useful, though it does indicate clear evidence of what the author’s preferences are in terms of choice and form and name (e.g. a Spanish author with an article in the surname, who wrote her first thesis in Spain, a doctoral thesis in Belgium, married someone  with  a Dutch surname including “Van” and is now living and writing books in England - the “worst case scenario in terms of the problem we were discussing last week). I usually check LinkedIn first since the information is from the author, and is designed for professional “eyes”.

Aaron Kuperman, LC Law Cataloging Section.

This is not an official communication from my employer

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Noble, Richard
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2017 11:35 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] Citing LinkedIn, Facebook etc.

Are there any special protocols for citation of social media relating to persons, assuming that the bibliographical and personal/"social" identity is unambiguous? I'd consider these to be sources of secondary resort, but if you're cataloging Lovecraft-related materials it's a decidedly weird bibliographical universe...

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187

<Richard_Noble@Brown.edu>