Happy early [long for some] weekend!

When adding a variant access point to an *existing* authority record
[updating a NAR to RDA and have encountered a variant name for a person,
and note that there's no conflict ]

Instructions for VAPs at 9.19.2.1 state:

"Include additional elements if considered important for identification.
Apply the instructions at 9.19.1.2–9.19.1.8, as applicable."

Which of course leads me to 9.19.1.3 and its LC-PCC-PS which states

"LC practice/PCC practice for Optional addition: Add a date of birth and/or
date of death to *new authority records*, even if not needed to distinguish
between access points." [emph mine]

Thus am I to conclude that because this is not a new authority record, but
a new *access point* in an existing authority record. I am free to not add
the date to the VAP? [I will be adding date as per my cat judge of the
optional addition] I'm just curious if my reading is correct.

thanks!

in solidarity,

Netanel Ganin
Metadata Coordinator -- Hebrew Specialty
Brandeis University

My pronouns are he/him/his