Hello,
I am a member of ACTFL and learnt from a colleague who is quite active in
the Association that ACTFL is a "spun off" from MLA.

"1967 ACTFL was born out of MLA leadership to address teacher preparation.
Teacher's Handbook, Contextualized Language Instruction, 5th edition (2016)By
Judith L. Shrum, Eileen W. Glisan"

The two organizations are now totally independent from each other with
their own bylaws, leadership, and funding.

I hope this helps,

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Ian Fairclough <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> PCCLIST readers,
>

> Advice is sought concerning this NAR
>

> 010  n  79103669
>
> 040  DLC ǂb eng ǂc DLC
>
> 1102 American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages.
>
> 4102 Modern Language Association of America. ǂb American Council on the
> Teaching of Foreign Languages
>
> 4102 ACTFL
>
> 670  Foreign language annals.
>

> -- which I've copied using OCLC Connexion's "show LC superseded versions"
> to display the earliest available version.  The entered date is 19800521,
> which means that it predates LC’s implementation of AACR2, although it was
> coded as such along with "Replaced 19840322000000.0".  The current version
> has been upgraded to RDA, but no additional 670 fields are present, and the
> existing one sheds no light on the situation.
>

> My question has to do with the relationship between the American Council
> on the Teaching of Foreign Languages and the Modern Language Association of
> America.  Although presumably such a relationship existed in the past, I
> find no evidence of it in available sources on the Internet, which are:
>
> https://www.actfl.org/
>
> https://www.mla.org/
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Language_Association (which lists
> four other bodies under Affiliated Societies)
>

> While using Gary Strawn's Authorities Toolkit, my suspicions were aroused
> when the software recoded this field
>
> 4102 Modern Language Association of America. ǂb American Council on the
> Teaching of Foreign Languages
>
> as
>
> 5102 ǂw r ǂi Hierarchical superior: ǂa Modern Language Association of
> America
>
> which is evidently not the case now, regardless of what might have been
> the case when the NAR was first created.
>

> My inclination is to leave field 410 as is, and add:
>
> 675  Modern Language Association of America web site, viewed Feb. 17, 2017.
>

> I am aware that catalogers should evaluate NARs after using the Toolkit,
> hence my question.  If anyone has further information to contribute about
> the historical relationship between these two organizations, I'll be
> grateful to hear from you.
>

> Sincerely - Ian
>

> Ian Fairclough
>
> Cataloging and Metadata Services Librarian
>
> George Mason University
>
> 703-993-2938 <(703)%20993-2938>

Ngoc-My Guidarelli
Catalog Librarian / Adjunct Faculty, School of World Studies
James Branch Cabell Library
Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond - VA 23284
Phone: (804) 827-3600