I second everything Stephen McDonald says. Note also that while there are
many names entered in OCLC as "Nelson, James", very few are controlled. One
useful and low cost action to take in such cases is to control the
appropriate bib headings with the unqualified authority. That way, if
anyone does take the time to modify this Nelson's authorized access point
in order to establish a different Nelson without a qualifier, the
appropriate bib headings will get updated automatically.

Stephen

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:39 AM, McDonald, Stephen <[log in to unmask]
> wrote:

> Under normal circumstances, you are not supposed to add dates an existing
> AAP that does not have dates, unless you are already modifying the name for
> other reasons.  As you describe it, conflicting identities exist, but those
> identities are not in the NAF.  I believe that, by the rules, you do not
> currently have justification to add the dates to this heading  The proper
> procedure is to create new authority records for the _*other*_ identities
> which lack them.
>

> However, if you do create new authority records for the other identities,
> and find that you have difficulty resolving the conflict with no 98069349,
> then you are justified in adding dates (and/or other qualifiers) to the
> existing record in order to resolve the conflict.  To do that, you would
> modify the existing record, rather than create a new record to replace no
> 98069349.
>

> This is my understanding of the policies.  In particular, I am looking at
> slide 18 of Module 7 of the NACO training slides.
>

>                                                             Steve McDonald
>
>                                                             Cataloging
> and Metadata Librarian

Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist