I second everything Stephen McDonald says. Note also that while there are many names entered in OCLC as "Nelson, James", very few are controlled. One useful and low cost action to take in such cases is to control the appropriate bib headings with the unqualified authority. That way, if anyone does take the time to modify this Nelson's authorized access point in order to establish a different Nelson without a qualifier, the appropriate bib headings will get updated automatically.

Stephen