Re Bob Maxwell's suggestion--I'd be OK with that, but I'm really hoping
that we bend the other way, away from authorized access points and toward
using differentiated entity descriptions associated with unique identifiers
to generate provisionally distinguished name access points.

Currently OCLC mixes the controlled and uncontrolled James Nelson together
under a single index entry, but there could be other options. OCLC could
generate an entry which would distinguish this Nelson's works based on the
presence of OCLC's ARN in his entries (the data behind the control
highlighting), e.g.. by supplying a roman numeral (Nelson, James (I))
following the model used in IMDb.  If the "Nelson, James" authority
included an 046 date field, that could be appended algorithmically to the
heading in some form (Nelson, James (I), *1950- *) or used to generate a
provisional entry form (Nelson, James, *1950- *) which could be visually
distinguished from fully established Nelson AAPs. If the date is lacking,
the association could be with a title, since most authorities indicate such
an association (Nelson, James (I) *associated with Title X)*.  As
additional information is added to the Nelson authority, the provisional
entry could be modified; and since this approach would not be modifying the
AAP name in the bib or authority record--these changes would only live in
the indexes and in the system managing the records--it could be developed
without changes to RDA.

If such a model of managing distinct access proves workable, I can foresee
a reduced need to create unique, qualified AAP strings, which might
ultimately be reflected in RDA. A preferred name alone would suffice. The
distinguishing string needed to support users in identifying names could be
met with a richer, more flexible, automated selection and formatting of
distinguishing data from the authority.  Experience and user studies would
inform system developers and librarians about how best to select, assemble,
and display data from the authority to make each name identifiable in the
context of a system and its users.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist