From: ARSC Library and Archives Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Richard L. Hess
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2017 1:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: A/V preservation jobs

Hi, Nathan,

The vast majority of interesting projects that I see are either funded by re-release budgets or by grants. I THINK at least some organizations see A/V preservation as finite when the tapes are all done, there is no more job. I don't know for sure, but just my observations from being on the outside looking in for almost the last two decades.

Another perspective is that for many institutions, the preservation of their holdings does not have a matching revenue stream. In fact some archives I know are choosing (a) to digitize a limited amount of their holdings--those that would likely be requested or (b) to do adequate but not superior digitization efforts due to lack of funding.

Cheers,

Richard