From: ARSC Library and Archives Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nathan Coy
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2017 2:36 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIB] A/V preservation jobs

Richard,

  "I THINK at least some organizations see A/V preservation as finite when the tapes are all done, there is no more job"

I think this is a really useful observation about ways we talk to decision makers about the work. Clearly recordings are still being made, maybe even more widely so, so if that's case it's a matter of it not be done but just but also just another format type to add to the list of preservation intervention. Also, it sure seems like there are a lot of tapes to still do, with people interested in that area. More than machines, parts, and repair people to keep them going. I'm not sure the incentives exist though for people to enter the analog machine repair field? That is another aspect I've been thinking about a lot lately (Not as a personal career path, but as a need for the field).

the gig economy

historically part of media production but not libraries, although, outsourcing to vendors is part of historical library process (binding, etc).

I also am of the position that if we go with the gig economy, it needs organized labor, gig economies needs to potentially pay more  (or some other benefits) than the permanent positions due to job insecurity and associated relocation costs, etc. But if the gig economy provides less, to employers it provides the allure of cheap work that has ramifications for fields tied to it. If senior and previous generations actively are engaged in devaluing labor in the fields they manage, they are actively harming subsequent generations and perhaps any associated fields. This is one of the things I personally find sad about our current time and the differences that are appearing in the workplace between generations in the workplace at least partially as a consequence of management philosophy. It seems many of the people working media preservation either go the library school or MIAP route, neither of which seemingly advertise the associated fields as a gig field, or the professional organizations for that matter, but I stand to be corrected on this generalization. In libraries I see a lot Gen Xers (and
prior) being in permanent positions (for quite some time, perhaps at entry to the field) but millennials not being offered the same opportunities.

I also am willing to admit to being susceptible to a certain amount of Wishful vs. Is thinking. That said I don't think it invalidates some of these positions.

Best,
Nathan