Dear Nathan,

Thanks for your interesting question.
Considering the amount of replies I think we can conclude you touched a
sensible point here.

Many replies given already by others imho make sense, although it is hard
to say to which extent they contribute to the full truth, which is always a
combination of factors.

A few remarks from my side:

- keep in mind that you're talking about a North-American situation; I'm
not sure the same phenomenon occurs in other regions. For example in Europe
the vast majority of audiovisual archivists works for (public)
broadcasters. Employment rules typically for them are not job domain based,
but (to a large extent) company based. That impacts things in the sense
that public bodies in Europe have a traditional (but slowly disappearing)
preference for contracts with an indefinite duration.

- my best guess would be that indeed preservation is considered a temporary
and finishing activity (and so employment is more project-based than
long-term based). And I agree with this in the sense that at least in audio
and video preservation, the job is shifting rapidly to digital. On the
other hand, imho e.g. digitisation operators can be perfect digital
preservationists too, but in any case the job description does / will
change, and that might cause HR officers to opt for shorter term contracts.

Best,

--

[image: VIAA]
     Brecht Declercq

     VIAA vzw* | Sassevaartstraat 46/209 | 9000 Gent | Belgiƫ | www.viaa.be
<http://www.viaa.be/>*
     T: +32 9 298 05 01 *|* M: +32 474 25 04 67

<https://onderwijs.hetarchief.be/> <https://onderwijs.hetarchief.be/>