We are going to have to do a very large shift at Stanford, because we are installing new compact shelving. It involves emptying out several ranges of discs and placing them on a new set of shelves. Then, tearing down the old shelves followed by distributing the entire collection over all of the shelves in the facility. We will be hiring movers to help with this. We need to specify in the contract how the records will be handled to minimize breakage or damage.

Richard Warren's article in the ARSC Journal has some good general principles, but we need something much more specific and detailed. Does anyone have written record handling guidelines that would cover such a move, or perhaps guidelines that we could adapt for this purpose?

--
Jerry McBride
Head Librarian

650-725-1146