Hi all,

We are trying to incorporate Accelerated Readers (AR) levels in our juvenile titles so that parents and kids can search for those directly in our catalog (our ILS is Polaris).   The information about the AR titles is usually entered in the 526 field…

Tag: 526
Indicators:
1st – 0
2nd –
Subfields:
‡a [Program name: Accelerated Reader]
‡b [Interest level: LG (lower grades K-3), MG (middle grades 4-8), MG+ (middle grades plus 6 and up), UG (upper grades 9-12)]
‡c [Reading level]: #
‡d [Title point value]: #
‡x [Non-public note]: txt
‡z [Public note]: txt

Example: 526   0  Accelerated Reader AR $b Upper Grades $c 6.4 $d 7.0

Have any of you incorporate the AR information in your Juvenile/YA titles and if so, how are you indexing the tag to allow patrons to search for these?  I am particularly interested in any methods you’re using to allow patrons not just to search for Accelerated Readers but also to filter by the interest level (subfield b) and reading level (subfield c).

Maribel Piloto
Technical Services Manager
Miami-Dade Public Library System
101  West Flagler St.
Miami, FL 33130
Tel. 305-375-5505   Fax 305-375-5036
www.mdpls.org<http://www.mdpls.org/>
"Delivering Excellence Every Day"

Miami-Dade County is a public entity subject to Chapter 119 of the Florida Statutes concerning public records. E-mail messages are covered under such laws and thus subject to disclosure.