Happy Friday

I am looking at the Subjects Headings manual for information, a complete
rule, on when a topic may be geographically subdivided and when it may not.

Cataloger's Desktop lists all the headings and includes the additional note
about which ones may be subdivided geographically. It also mentions the
addition of (May Subd Geog) as generated from the existence of "i" in field
008/06 in the authority record.

But I am looking for the rule that actually explains why some headings can
be while others not.
In which documentation might I find this philosophical guidance?

Thank you,

Jesse

--
Jesse A Lambertson, MLIS