Hi Jesse,

You can find the background for this decision in the Subject Headings Manual, H 364.  It says,

The Library's past practice was to authorize subject headings for geographic subdivision only when further subdivision by place was actually needed for works being cataloged.  Currently, new headings are authorized for geographic subdivision at the point when they are established if they represent topics that could exist in a specific location or could be discussed in relation to a place, whether or not geographic subdivision is needed for the item in hand.

Hope this helps!

Louise

Louise Ratliff

Social Sciences and Map Catalog Librarian
UCLA Library Cataloging & Metadata Center
11020 Kinross Ave.
Box 957230
Los Angeles, CA 90095-7230
(310)206-5853