From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jesse Lambertson
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2017 11:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: (may subdivide geographically) ?

Happy Friday
I am looking at the Subjects Headings manual for information, a complete rule, on when a topic may be geographically subdivided and when it may not.
Cataloger's Desktop lists all the headings and includes the additional note about which ones may be subdivided geographically. It also mentions the addition of (May Subd Geog) as generated from the existence of "i" in field 008/06 in the authority record.
But I am looking for the rule that actually explains why some headings can be while others not.
In which documentation might I find this philosophical guidance?
Thank you,
Jesse

--
Jesse A Lambertson, MLIS