From: Kuperman, Aaron
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 10:58 AM
To: Subject: RE: [PCCLIST] (may subdivide geographically) ?

Jesse,

For legal materials, geographic subdivision is the norm, for obvious reasons.  If you encounter a record without it, there should be a very good reason.  If you can’t find a very good reason, assume it is probably a mistake and needs to be fixed.  Examples of good reasons are:

1. The heading is a topic that when expressed geographically, is expressed as a subdivision under jurisdiction (Economic policy as a 650, but Ruritania--Economic policy as a 651)

2. It is a subject that we have consciously decided does not allow for geographic subdivision since it should be the same thing anywhere, meaning if the books has a local focus it needs to be brought up by other means, so that since Jewish law does not allow geographic subdivision, one might end up with a second heading (or first heading depending on where one is classing the work) such as Jews--Legal status, laws, etc.--Ruritania or Law--Ruritania--Jewish influences.   Note that Jewish law (Mishpat Ivri) classes in KBM, whereas the two examples given would class with Ruritanian law  in the K schedules.  Note that we are inconsistent in that “Islamic law” accepts geographic subdivision, whereas Jewish, Roman and Canon law do not.

Aaron

Aaron Kuperman, LC Law Cataloging Section.
This is not an official communication from my employer