Dear PCCLIST readers,

Since LC doesn’t create or edit SARS these days, perhaps someone who does can help.

I wonder whether in the SAR below, the access point should be
1001 Sacks, Jonathan, ǂd 1948- ǂt Covenant & conversation
because it appears that Sacks wrote all titles in this series.

I’m also wondering whether it should have a SAR at all, or whether instead the SAR should advise treatment as a series-like phrase or as a title proper:

·         The only OCLC WorldCat record I’ve found that appears to have treated this phrase as a series is 939921664 Leviticus : the book of holiness (at my desk), for which has also been provided a field 246 Covenant & conversation : ǂb Leviticus – plus a 490 field and a variant form in field 830 Covenant & conversation series (which got me looking for a SAR: I don’t know how or why the word series got appended).

·         Some WorldCat records have that phrase as title proper, thus: Covenant & conversation, a weekly reading of the Jewish Bible (as recorded below in 670/2).   On the title page of the book in hand, as well as the cover, that phrase is more prominent than “Leviticus ...”

·         OCLC 544287342 treats the title as a multipart monograph, but is incomplete and has a different publisher from the book in hand.  Three volumes are available (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus): and cataloging them individually permits each one  to be classed separately within LCC, which is a more user-friendly approach, collocating them with other commentaries on each Bible book.

Please forward this email as appropriate.  Also please note: I do not create or edit SARs (so don’t tell me what to do with this one!).

Sincerely - Ian

Ian Fairclough
George Mason University
703-993-2938

010  no2015135918
040  OCoLC ǂb eng ǂe rda ǂc OCoLC
130 0Covenant & conversation
380  Series (Publications) ǂ2 lcsh
380  Monographic series ǂ2 lcsh
430 0Covenant and conversation
643  New Milford, CT ǂb Maggid Books & The Orthodox Union
644  f ǂ5 OCoLC
645  t ǂ5 DPCC ǂ5 OCoLC
646  s ǂ5 OCoLC
670  OCLC 424561447: Genesis, the book of beginnings, 2009 ǂb (usage: Covenant & conversation)
670  Rabbi Sacks website, viewed October 1, 2015 ǂb (Covenant & conversation: a weekly reading of the Jewish Bible)