Michael,

A joint task group consisting of members of the PCC Standing Committee on Training and the PCC Standing Committee on Standards has drafted a PCC Guidelines for Relationship Designators in Authority Records document over the last year or so. It has gone up the approval process and should be out shortly (still a few technical details, evidently, on LC’s part).

The short answer to your question, however, is yes, you should use a relationship designator with a 5XX field if an appropriate one is available. Capitalize the designator and follow with a colon. Also record “$w r” E.g.:

100 1_ Alexander, Lloyd. ǂt Book of three. ǂl Spanish ǂs (Solé)

500 1_ ǂi Translator: ǂa Solé, Albert ǂw r

500 1_ ǂi Contained in (expression): ǂa Alexander, Lloyd. ǂt Chronicles of Prydain. ǂl Spanish ǂs (Solé) ǂw r

110 2_ A.H. Cox & Co.

510 2_ ǂi Successor: ǂa Hoechst UK Ltd. ǂw r

Robert L. Maxwell
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602