If we could just get a moratorium on the publication and acquisition of books, we could make OCLC a perfect database by volunteer cataloger work within a few months.

Ted Gemberling

UAB Lister Hill Library

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Greta de Groat
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2017 10:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] resolving conflicts in WorldCat while doing NACO work

Much as i'd love to clean up everything, there are some practical difficulties.   It's one thing to clean up records which had no authority control from the beginning.  However, we're not supposed to change foreign language records, so those headings can't be brought into conformance with NAF.  They are often under authority control from their originating agency anyway.   If cleanup involved making NARs for persons on bib records for publications which your library doesn't own, then you've got the problem of verifying usage.  The 245$c, if there is one, doesn't always conform to current cataloging rules so you can't really rely on that.  It's sometimes possible to find a book scanned in Google Books or find a dissertation online somewhere so you can confirm the usage but that's not always the case.  And even if your library owns the book, is it worth your while to have it paged from storage or make a run to the stacks?  I often see unqualified headings with several identities among the associated bib records, sorting that out could take days assuming you could even find qualifying information for each of the identities, and if you looked a few months later, there would be more records reappearing under the unquaified form.  Our regular NAF work already takes up a lot of time, it's harder to justify a time black hole for work that's of minimal value to your institution.

greta de groat
Stanford University Libraries