Dear Ed, dear all,

this is interesting, and from my perspective a good use case -- with no official MARC solution available (at least not yet).

We have similar data in the Integrated Authority File (Gemeinsame Normdatei, GND).  We call it "zeitliche Gueltigkeit", or chronological validity of a relationship.  Some relationships (approx. 100,000 in 64,000 records) are qualified by chronological information, because the relationship is not valid indefinitely, but on a limited range of time. This comprises years, exact dates, or textual information, either single ones or open or closed time spans.

Internally the information is cataloged and stored in a subfield $Z (mnemotechnically, the "Z" is the first letter of the German word "Zeit", menaing "time").  Up to now in MARC it is given as a "local" subfield $9 with a "sublabel" "Z", followed by a colon ":".

For example, the record describing Stefan Zweig
http://d-nb.info/gnd/118637479
has some 551 fields with a $Z / $9Z:

001 118637479
024 7# $ahttp://d-nb.info/gnd/118637479
100 1# $aZweig, Stefan$d1881-1942
551  $0(DE-588)4066009-6$aWien$94:ortg$wr$iGeburtsort
551  $0(DE-588)4103032-1$aPetropolis$94:orts$wr$iSterbeort
551  $0(DE-588)4066009-6$aWien$94:ortw$wr$iWirkungsort
551  $0(DE-588)4005728-8$aBerlin$94:ortw$wr$iWirkungsort
551  $0(DE-588)4076982-3$aSalzburg$94:ortw$wr$iWirkungsort
551  $0(DE-588)4022153-2$aGroßbritannien$94:ortx$wr$iExil$9Z:1934
551  $0(DE-588)4078704-7$aUSA$94:ortx$wr$iExil$9Z:1939
551  $0(DE-588)4008003-1$aBrasilien$94:ortx$wr$iExil$9Z:1940

So Great Britain and the USA and Brasil were stations of his exile, during the years given in the respective fields.

The information is bound to one specific field, and given the lack of free subfield codes, I don't see an easy MARC solution (other than the local subfield $9).

Let me mention that in fall 2015 I have drafted a Discussion Paper for the MARC Advisory Committee, covering field-bound information, among them chronological validity of a relationship, and language and script of a MARC field content.  After some internal discussion we decided to withdraw the paper.

Best wishes

Reinhold

--

Reinhold Heuvelmann
German National Library

*** Reading. Listening. Understanding. German National Library ***