From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ian Fairclough
Sent: 29 March 2017 15:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] fuller form of name

PCCLIST readers,

I just came across a NAR having a “lesser” form of name!  Here’s how it looks:

Smith, Daniel ǂq (Dan)
with a reference the other way round:
Smith, Dan ǂq (Daniel)

Actually, not wishing to cause embarrassment, I changed the name for the purpose of this example – and looked it up in the NAR just in case this very example is also present (it’s not).  Should something be done, such as reporting the NAR? If so, to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or elsewhere? I have no reason to attend to it otherwise.

And since this instance has come to light, it provokes me to inquire further concerning fuller forms.  If I understand correctly they must be found data in bibliographic sources, not simply supplied by the cataloger.  And “fullness” must be taken literally.  Here are some examples, made up for this email:

•         Jimmy is a fuller form of Jim, whereas James is not

•         both Danny and Daniel are fuller forms of Dan

•         Theodore is a fuller form of Ted (note the 1st, 3rd and 5th letters), but Edward is not

•         Smith, P.D.Q is fuller than Smith, Pretty Darn (three initials being fuller than two names)

Are they correct?  Sincerely - Ian

Ian Fairclough
George Mason University
703-993-2938

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk<http://www.bl.uk/>
The British Library’s latest Annual Report and Accounts : www.bl.uk/aboutus/annrep/index.html<http://www.bl.uk/aboutus/annrep/index.html>
Help the British Library conserve the world's knowledge. Adopt a Book. www.bl.uk/adoptabook<http://www.bl.uk/adoptabook>
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.
Think before you print