Oh yes, absolutely. Plenty of people are dubbed Jim, Bob, Ted or Bert without ever owning the original full form of any of those names. We shouldn’t make assumptions.

Regards

Richard

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kuperman, Aaron
Sent: 29 March 2017 16:33
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] fuller form of name

One can’t be certain that a given user, especially an American, knows that “James” is a fuller form of “Jim”.  We probably should include something like that in the NAF ONLY if we can find it written down somewhere (for example, if an online search shows up an official document using the name “James” for someone who unofficially goes through life as a “Jim”).

Aaron Kuperman, LC Law Cataloging Section.

This is not an official communication from my employer