Dear PCCLIST readers,

I'm wondering about adding field 380 Motion pictures $2 lcgft to a NAR for a motion picture that I'm updating to RDA.  The LCGFT record (gf2011026406) has in field 680:  Collections of films that are composed of multiple genres and/or forms to which more specific headings such as ǂa Nonfiction films ǂi or ǂa Comedy films ǂi cannot be applied.

Since this record uses "collections" is it appropriate to add the heading to a NAR that is for an individual motion picture?  If not, is there a more appropriate LCGFT that should be used?

I’m also wondering about the references in fields 430.  These would more properly go on a NAR for an English-language translation.  But I don't have a translation: the film was not translated, but rather was released with subtitles. Nor do I have the film; rather, I have a book *about* the film, to which the author refers consistently as Arabian Nights.

I also wondered about including field 377 with a language code. However, according to MARC Authority 377 - Associated Language

https://www.loc.gov/marc/authority/ad377.html

this field is used with "a person, organization, or family" rather than a work/expression.

The record in question is n  96047189. Below is a draft of my update.  Any comments are welcome, whether on the list or directly to me.

Sincerely - Ian

Ian Fairclough
George Mason University
703-993-2938

010  n  96047189

040  DLC ǂb eng ǂe rda ǂc DLC ǂd DLC

046  ǂk 1974 ǂ2 edtf

130 0Fiore delle mille e una notte (Motion picture)

380  Motion pictures ǂ2 lcgft

430 0Arabian nights (Motion picture : 1974)

430 0Flower of the thousand and one nights

5001 ǂi Director: ǂa Pasolini, Pier Paolo, ǂd 1922-1975 ǂw r

670  Rumble, P. Allegories of contamination, c1996: ǂb p. 179 (Il fiore delle mille e una notte, motion picture written and directed by Pier Paolo Pasolini, released 1974)

670  Moon, Michael, 1950- Arabian nights, 2016: ǂb page 15 (Il fiore delle mille e una notte = The flower of the thousand and one nights; in the US under the title Arabian nights, 1980, Italian with English subtitles; director, Pier Paolo Pasolini)