From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ian Fairclough
Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2017 3:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] Portuguese-language names with a prefix followed by a compound surname

Dear PCCLIST readers,

For Portuguese-language names: What do you do when you have a separately written prefix followed by a compound surname?

In AACR2 we're instructed "If the person’s language is Portuguese, enter under the last element." (11.5C4).  However I don't see this AACR2 rule carried over into RDA.

RDA has:  F.11.8 Portuguese. Record the part of the name following the prefix as the first element.

That would result in this name

Renato Fontoura de GusmaŜo Cerqueira

being formulated as

GusmaŜo Cerqueira, Renato Fontoura de

rather than

Cerqueira, Renato Fontoura de GusmaŜo

as AACR2 would have it.

Following the direction in 9.2.2.10.2  to go by IFLA's Names of Persons, I've looked here

http://www.ifla.org/files/assets/cataloguing/pubs/ifla_names_of_persons_portugal_2009.pdf

but don't see which example, if any, matches the situation I'm dealing with.

One caveat: The person is a Brazilian.  But this document http://www.ifla.org/files/assets/cataloguing/pubs/ifla_names_of_persons_brazil_1994.pdf didn't seem to have a match either.

I am in communication with authors of the book in hand – five of them, all Brazilian, three of them having compound surnames, three with the prefix de, two with both!  Hopefully they’ll tell me their preferences (two have already responded).  The Brazil National Library doesn’t appear to be a NACO member, and its practice differs from NACO for at least one author.

All advice gratefully received! I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely - Ian

Ian Fairclough
George Mason University
703-993-2938