Hi Ian,

I would still enter this under the final element, Cerqueira, following the standard practice for Portuguese:

Cerqueira, Renato Fontoura de GusmaÞo

Even though it doesn’t explicitly say this, I think F.11.8 is telling us to record the part following the prefix in the event that it’s the final element of the name. There could be cases where you have a long string of names with a prefix/preposition/preposition+article in the middle, e.g., Maria Elena Fernandes da Costa Lopes Gonçalves, but I’d still enter it under the final element (unless the final element is Filho, Junior, etc per 9.2.2.9.5).

In the IFLA document you cite, I think example #5 in “Order of Elements in Catalogue Headings” shows this in action:

**Compound surname joined by e or a preposition: CASTRO, Armando Gonçalves de Morais e” (as opposed to “MORAIS E CASTRO, Armando Gonçalves de”). **

This also follows standard practice for indexing Portuguese-language surnames, e.g., this from the Chicago Manual of Style (note second example):

:::

Portuguese names.

The Portuguese, unlike the Spanish, index surnames by the last element.

Vasconcellos, J. Leite de

Martins, Luciana de Lima

::

Occasionally you will have a Portuguese-language author who varies from the standard “final element” practice, particularly if their surname is one of the old noble compound surnames of Portugal, but you can normally only know this based on clues scattered around the text (references to them in the preface, their works indexed in the bibliography, etc). The overwhelming majority of the time it’s the final element unless there’s a Filho, Neto, Junior, etc.

Hope this helps,

Rich

Rich Murray

Catalog Librarian for Spanish & Portuguese Languages and Rare Books

Duke University Libraries

Durham, North Carolina