Hello Ian!

You can go ahead and establish the NAR as:

CERQUEIRA, Renato Fontoura de Gusmão

In Portuguese, the entry is under the last surname.  You can see an example more clearly in AACR2 22.5.D2 Portuguese. BUT there are a few exceptions that must be observed  such as:

- CASTELO BRANCO, Camilo

- RIO BRANCO, Miguel

These two surnames are formed by a noun and an adjective. In this case you enter under the compound expression (e.g .: RIO BRANCO, Miguel; ESPIRITO SANTO, Arnaldo). And don't forget that the distinctives "FILHO", "JUNIOR",  "NETO", "SOBRINHO" follows the last surname.

Please  search NBR6023/2002 (NB66) issued by Associacao Brasileira de Normas Tecnicas (ABNT) . http://abntcatalogo.com.br. This set of rules will help you understand the issue you have brought about !

I hope I've helped you.

Gloria Valim

Librarian Cataloger