From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ehlert, Mark K.
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2017 2:40 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Question about use of RDA relators in authority records

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael Borries
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2017 1:24 PM

> I know I should know this, so apologize for taking up people's time,
> but is it considered best practice now to use relators in MARC 500
> fields, rather than the field by itself, or is this a matter of
> cataloger's judgment?  I don't recall seeing a policy statement here, but since I am something of a "jack-of-all-trades"
> here, I often miss things, and I seem to see records done both ways.

According to DCM Z1, 5XX See Also From Tracing - General Information:

"LC/PCC catalogers applying RDA instructions may use subfield $i in conjunction with subfield $w code 'r' for relationship designators.  When applying RDA relationship designators in 5XXs, supply terms from Appendix I, J or K; capitalize the initial letter of the term and follow the term with a colon.

"Until a decision is reached by the PCC Policy Committee on the use of relationship designators in authority records, LC/PCC catalogers may continue to use the subfield $w codes "a" (earlier) and "b" (later) or optionally use the appropriate relationship designators from Appendix K to provide relationship links between corporate entities (510 or 511)."

http://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/dcmz1.pdf#page=91

--
Mark K. Ehlert                 O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library
Cataloging and Metadata        University of St. Thomas

  "Experience is by industry achieved // And perfected by the swift course of time"--Shakespeare, "Two Gentlemen of Verona," Act I, Scene iii