The real problem is reliance on an authorized access point or variant as
summary information about a person. The AAP is too brief for identification
purposes. I agree with Mary Charles Lasater that multiplying these
inadequate nomens is not our best course.

We need instead a paradigm shift toward thinking about the information
associated with an identity as constellated data to be displayed with the
preferred name in a different model of indexing--not just a list of
preformulated access points each of which must be examined, but a
concatenation of useful facts about the person already displayed in the
initial search response, just like most brief displays of bib records
consist of a concatenation of useful facts about the resource.

When system are better able to use domain-specified identifiers to compare
and collocate records and to use the full extent of the authority file's
specified data elements to enable identification, we'll all be better off.

(Is there an irony that after a long and lively career in authority control
I find myself advocating for the end of the authorized access point? Yes,
there is, and it's ... delicious.)

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist