I'm now persuaded by Moore, Hearn, Lasater, Leslie (et al. further on, no doubt) that this device should be deployed as minimally as possible. It appears that we are tempted to use 1XX and 4XX fields for information retrieval, rather than the focusing of index values, given limitations of our current front ends: building a "legacy", so to speak.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble@Brown.edu>